2 - Airfight
Click/tap here to download this episode.
The story of the one of the earliest flight simulator games, Airfight, a favourite among the PLATO community back in 1973, based on an interview with its creator. Airfight was a multiplayer flight combat sim with wireframe graphics and real-time chat, and it was an influence on the first home computer flight simulator, subLOGIC's fittingly-named 1980 game Flight Simulator for the Apple II and TRS-80.
- Ars Technica article on PLATO games: lifeandtimes.games/arsplatofeature
- The Friendly Orange Glow by Brian Dear, out November 14 2017: friendlyorangeglow.com
- Cyber1: cyber1.org
Music Credits:All music written/composed by me, except:
- Evan Schaeffer - Riser from the album Glow
- Evan Schaeffer - Portal and Insurmountable from the album Big Splash
- Symphonie inachevee de Franz Schubert - archive.org/details/SymphonieInacheveeDeFrantzSchubert
- 1920s jazz recordings - archive.org/details/Free20sJazz_Collection
The Life & Times of Video Games on the Web:
- Official site: lifeandtimes.games
- Twitter: @LifeandTimesVG
- Patreon: patreon.com/lifeandtimesofvideogames
You can support the show by leaving a review on iTunes, sharing it with a friend or colleague, or donating via Patreon — where you can get extended interviews and other bonus content, along with interruption-free and ad-free episodes in a patron-only RSS feed.
If we can get to at least $350 a month on Patreon, I'll be able to commit to a second 13-episode season to follow soon after this one. So whaddya say? Are you with me? Sign up here: lifeandtimes.games/patreon.