2 - Airfight
Click/tap here to download this episode.
(If you don't see the player above, it means your browser is blocking my podcast host Megaphone. If that's the case you can listen by downloading the mp3, turning off your adblocker, whitelisting all megaphone.com subdomains, or loading it up in your favourite podcast app. I'm sorry about the inconvenience, but there's nothing I can do about it until Megaphone either improves its privacy performance or I switch to a new host — which I'd rather not do just yet.)
Become a Patron!
The story of the one of the earliest flight simulator games, Airfight, a favourite among the PLATO community back in 1973, based on an interview with its creator. Airfight was a multiplayer flight combat sim with wireframe graphics and real-time chat, and it was an influence on the first home computer flight simulator, subLOGIC's fittingly-named 1980 game Flight Simulator for the Apple II and TRS-80.
- Ars Technica article on PLATO games: lifeandtimes.games/arsplatofeature
- The Friendly Orange Glow by Brian Dear, out November 14 2017: friendlyorangeglow.com
- Cyber1: cyber1.org
Music Credits:All music written/composed by me, except:
- Evan Schaeffer - Riser from the album Glow
- Evan Schaeffer - Portal and Insurmountable from the album Big Splash
- Symphonie inachevee de Franz Schubert - archive.org/details/SymphonieInacheveeDeFrantzSchubert
- 1920s jazz recordings - archive.org/details/Free20sJazz_Collection
The Life & Times of Video Games on the Web:
- Official site: lifeandtimes.games
- Twitter: @LifeandTimesVG
- Patreon: patreon.com/lifeandtimesofvideogames
You can support the show by leaving a review on iTunes, sharing it with a friend or colleague, or donating via Patreon — where you can get extended interviews and other bonus content, along with interruption-free and ad-free episodes in a patron-only RSS feed.
If we can get to at least $350 a month on Patreon, I'll be able to commit to a second 13-episode season to follow soon after this one. So whaddya say? Are you with me? Sign up here: lifeandtimes.games/patreon.