10 - Dogz
Click/tap here to download this episode.
(If you don't see the player above, it means your browser is blocking my podcast host Megaphone. If that's the case you can listen by downloading the mp3, turning off your adblocker, whitelisting all megaphone.com subdomains, or loading it up in your favourite podcast app. I'm sorry about the inconvenience, but there's nothing I can do about it until Megaphone either improves its privacy performance or I switch to a new host — which I'd rather not do just yet.)
Become a Patron!
Frustrated by the unjustified furore that surrounded his tame interactive movie game, designer Rob Fulop turned to Santa for help. And with a clever business model he and his team at PF Magic invented a new kind of game, one in which you adopt and care for a digital animal -- a virtual dog or cat, or something more exotic, with a personality and needs and quirks not unlike a real one.
Petz hexing is a deep rabbit hole to fall down, but if you're curious I'd recommend starting with these links:
- Ballz & Linez: Remembering the Golden Age of Petz Hexing
- Petz: A lost community of mostly female coders/gamers
- Carolyn's Creations
And for more on the Petz AI, I thought these were interesting:
- Socially Intelligent Virtual Petz
- Creating Emotional Relationships With Virtual Characters
- Virtual Babyz: Believable Agents with Narrative Intelligence
- (Also take a good look at what one of the Dogz/Catz developers did next.)
Support comes from my Patreon backers, with special credit to my three $10+ backers Vivek Mohan, Wade Tregaskis, and Simon Moss. Thanks fellas!
To learn more about my book, The Secret History of Mac Gaming, head to its official website secrethistoryofmacgaming.com.
Music and SFX credits:
- Two short clips from Night Trap's 1993 3DO version
- Excerpt from 1993 Senate Committee Hearings, via YouTube
- And everything else is my own work.
The Life & Times of Video Games on the Web and social media
- Website: lifeandtimes.games
- Twitter: @LifeandTimesVG
- Instagram: @lifeandtimesvg
- YouTube: lifeandtimes.games/youtube
You can make a donation to help cover running costs and allow me to rely less on freelance income (which means more time to produce the show) via
Can't afford to give me money?
Consider listening via the RadioPublic app for Android or iOS. It's free. And if you enable analytics then I get paid a couple of cents each time you listen to my show. Head to RadioPublic.com for more info.